At the accident scene:
- Stay calm - do not panic. A clear thinking head will recall necessary details.
- Turn off the ignition.
- Turn on emergency flashing hazard lights.
- Stay off the road and encourage others to do the same.
- Look for leaking petrol and battery acid.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not admit liability or promise payment.
- Do not engage in accusations with the other driver.
- Do not make rushed and rash decisions. Think clearly.
- Exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, registration numbers and insurance information.
- Take photographs.
You may, unwittingly, at the scene of an accident commit a serious breach of the law, so be sure to:
- Stop after an accident.
- Exchange names and addresses.
- Do not drive an un-roadworthy vehicle from an accident scene.
- Do not allow your car to be towed away from the accident by someone who is not authorised by the Accident Allocation Centre.
- IF NOBODY IS INJURED, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CALL THE POLICE.
Towing from an accident
The Victorian Government, through its agents, is the sole authority for despatching tow trucks to accident damaged vehicles, via the ACCIDENT ALLOCATION CENTRE. TEL: 131 176.
This service determines which independently owned towing service will be allocated an official job number to attend the accident scene for the specific purpose of towing your car direct to your nominated destination.
The towing service must, by law, follow your instructions.
DO NOT SIGN THE TOWING DOCKET UNTIL IT SHOWS YOUR INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DESTINATION!
DO NOT PAY THE DRIVER!
WE WILL PAY ON YOUR BEHALF!
Do not allow the law to be broken by permitting your vehicle to be removed from the accident scene by a towing operator who has not been directed to you by the Accident Allocation Centre.
Do not attempt to drive an un-roadworthy vehicle from the accident. It is against the law! You stand the chance of causing more damage and you run the risk of invalidating your Insurance cover.
When a tow truck arrives, instruct the driver to tow your car directly to our workshop.
PARKES BODY WORKS Pty. Ltd.
71 Westminster St, Oakleigh VIC 3166
t. (03) 9563 2222
Repair process - when will I have my car back?
This is a question we frequently get asked and we reply, "As quick as humanly possible, but with no sacrifice of quality and safety". The sooner your vehicle is at our workshop, the sooner we can effect the following procedures to get you back on the road with a minimum of delay.
- Claim form completion.
- Fax notification to Insurance Company and/or Broker.
- Damage inspection and appraisal.
- Spare parts availability enquiry.
- Computer estimate of damage. (You only require one estimate).
- Insurance Assessor inspects your vehicle.
- Written Repair Authorisation.
- Schedule and commencement of repairs.
- Repair completion.
- Wash, clean, detail and road test vehicle.
- Insurance clearance.
- Delivery and Life Time Warranty explained.
- 1 month and/or 1000km post repair check.
Throughout all of the above procedures we keep you fully updated and informed of all developments.
"Not only do we care about what we do, we care about how well we do it".
When your car arrives
- WE pay all towing charges on your behalf and collect them from your Insurance Company in our estimate of repairs.
- WE secure your vehicle and its contents in our locked, covered, security controlled premises.
- WE complete an inventory of your vehicle contents, its accessories, and fuel reading.
- WE note and inform you of any previous unrelated damage.
- WE provide you with all relevant Insurance documentation, assist with its completion and forward same to your Insurer.
- WE will drive you home or provide a taxi, if requested.
- WE are always available to arrange towing, receive and secure your vehicle in our workshop.
After hours, weekends or public holidays? No problems. Ring: 0418 374 838 OR (03) 9563 2222
Not your fault
If you believe the accident was not caused by your negligence, you may desire to recover the costs and expenses associated with the repairs to your car from the offending driver. This is true especially in the event you do not have any comprehensive insurance or you may not wish to prejudice your no claim bonus or pay any insurance excess applicable.
In either event PARKES BODY WORKS, with many years of practical and positive experience, will help and advise you with:
- An unbiased opinion on the cause of the accident and the resultant liabilities involved.
- A sample format of a letter of demand to be forwarded to the offending driver.
- A professional appraisal, digital images and a computerized estimate.
- Access to efficient, ethical and independent cost recovery services.
- Legal advisors with a particular expertise in car accident litigation.
In the event of a total loss we will, if requested, guide you in obtaining the best available salvage prices.
We frequently experience people who are totally unaware of the performance of their Insurance Company until they have to make a claim.
Often people are not familiar with the terms, conditions and practices of their Insurer when it comes to having their vehicle repaired.
Most Insurance Companies are very good, but some are better than others.
At PARKES BODY WORKS our vast, hands-on, practical experience in dealing with a wide range of Insurance Companies enables us to advise you on your best choice for Car Insurance.
- You usually pay your Insurance Company twelve months in advance. Often you do not know how they perform until you claim, and remember, they have got your money in advance.
- Do not buy Insurance on price alone. Cheap Insurance often indicates problems and delays when you need to claim. The small savings made often turn into expensive losses if your claim is not processed speedily. Remember, like most other "bargains", you get what you pay for.
- Seek an Insurance Company that offers you an "agreed value" policy as opposed to a "market value" policy. In the event of a total loss situation you will know exactly how much money you will be paid.
- Before you pay, ask your Insurance Company what is their policy concerning non-genuine parts, second hand parts and exchange parts with regard to your vehicle.
- Before you sign, ask your Insurer, "Can I choose my own Repairer?"
- No Insurance Company has the absolute right to insist on a particular Repairer or a group of "preferred" body shops. Only you, and you alone have that choice. After all, it is your car! You should be able to say who repairs it.
Talk to your repairer about car insurance.